I believe that creating a passive income stream through dividends is an achievable, intriguing and stimulating way to decrease my dependency on the salary income, which is over 95% of my income at the moment. The remaining 5% comes from interest income from CD's and my interest checking account at Schwab, credit card rewards and signing up for offers online. After doing some research, i have found that putting your money in bonds, cds and money market funds will only be enough to meet inflation and over long periods of time exceed it by a couple percentage points on average. Stocks on the other hand offer you the best possible investment opportunity out there. Over 30-35% of stocks performance over the past 50 years has been attributed to dividends; the rest comes from capital gains. If you take a look at the S&P 500 from 1957- 2005, the dividends have grown on average of 5.3% per year for the index. A $1000 investment in the S&P500 in early 1957 would have provided you with an annual dividend income of about $40. In 2005 your dividend income would have grown to $610, assuming that you spent all your income. Furthermore your investment would have been worth over $32,000 by the end of 2007. With inflation assumed to be averaging around 3 - 4% per year, your investment in dividend paying stocks would provide you with an income that keeps its purchasing power year over year, which unlike fixed income securities, can also provide you with capital gains.
My strategy involves saving around half of my paycheck and investing it in the dividend achievers and high yield dividend achievers that show consistent increases in dividends over time and the ability to cover those dividends in the future. I will have my screening method and my goals for passive income on my next posts. I would also try to describe my current net worth, and how it is invested. I hope that this blog will serve as an inspiration for people and that it would change their financial lives for the better.
但个股投资将会提供投资人最佳投资机会的可能。作者指出过去五十年里，股票的报酬有超过30~35%来自于股息的贡献。S＆P 500指数从1957年至2005年，股息平均每年增长5.3％。假设在1957年初，你投资1,000美元于标準普尔500指数，每年将获得约40美元的股息收益。到了2005年，假设你花掉了所有配息并未再投入，股息收入仍将成长至610美元。此外，到了2007年底，这笔投资总价值将超过32,000美元。假定通货膨胀以平均约3 - 4％的速度增长，投资配息股能年复一年地维持你的购买力，并同时提供资本利得，而不像固定收益证券只能拿回本金。作者在最后一段文章说明其理财策略为储蓄50%的工资收入，并用以投资于股息持续成长的个股上。
本文的CD指的是定期存单(Certificates of Deposit)，而不是信用违约交换(Credit default swap)，在财经英文文章中，信用违约交换的书写方式会是CDS，而本文第一段使用的CD’s，表现的是定存单所提供的利息收入，其他类似的用法可参考「保罗的书」(Paul’s book)、「苏珊的鞋」(Susan’s shoes)。
另外，a couple percentage points指的是很小的百分点，类似用法可参考「两美元」(a couple of bucks)。